.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The SurvivalRing Blog...what's going on in Saving The World...

My Blog for the SurvivalRing website.....
http://www.survivalring.org
"Study Yesterday...Prepare Today...Live Tomorrow."


Monitoring U.S. Homeland Security

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

(Sun just came out...bright and clear...hopefully enough to melt most of the snow from our first winter storm of the season late last week...only 12 inches of snow 8^p )

Wowsers...what a past couple of weeks! First illness, then loads of homework, then mid-terms, then a huge snow storm. Doing better with all, so I am catching up all the little things I've been missing, including this BLOG. Hope you missed me.

SurvivalRing as a site is doing fine...lots of new visitors, astounding quality within Google Searches ( SurvivalRing came up 58 out of 488,000 yesterday in a search on something that had NOTHING to do with SurvivalRing!!), and some repairs being done to the broken parts of the system, such as a complete reinstall of the Ikonboard Message system, available at SurvivalRing Forums. I've done a full link check on the entire system, and the report prints out to about 600 pages, but the details about what to fix that is broken is only around 1 1/2 pages. I will get that done this weekend.

Have a collection of around 100 megs of files, in about 30 NEW files, never before on SurvivalRing, that I will be getting online as soon as I fix the problem links, and will have a new document search and download system online when they are available. Promise you will enjoy it, and you'll be amazed at a couple of the titles.

CD number two is almost done, having been set back for a couple of weeks to deal with mid terms, but now can polish it up and ship it out. Stay tuned for a full file listing to be put on the website when done.

On the school front, read more below....you'll see I've not slacking off...

Classes are doing well. 3.85 average right now, on 17 hours of credits, so I'm happy. WebDev club is slowly growing, and we've had corporate support from Macromedia, Microsoft, O'Reilly, and McGraw Hill publishers, with more in the pipeline to come. I've sent out a press release thru the college to hit the local papers in the next week or two, and we should have an influx of members bring the meeting attendance level up quickly.

There is also a new club starting up to create a campus newspaper, which oddly enough, doesn't currently exist( the paper that is), so I jumped on the wagon and will be helping edit, then doing the layout for printing...great skills building, some interesting work for my future journalism career, and it also opens up the door for JOURNALISM SCHOLARSHIPS, which I am definitely going to need to reach my goal in of Bachelors ( and maybe even Masters) degrees in Journalism.

Websites are keeping me busy also. The page count for the WebDev club website is over 130 individual pages. I am also creating a new subsite for the Student Senate and all Central Wyoming College campus clubs, that will offer multiple scripts for EACH club, at CWC Student Senate and Clubs. It's going to be quite impressive, though I'm not yet at the point of doing a fully dynamic (such as PHP) system, that is a future goal. This site will use server side includes (SSI), , and a few other semi-dynamic tools to make it smooth, but it is an upward move in my web progress, and a great resource for every single student (1800 plus) on this campus. I did talk with the college webmaster yesterday about getting a server set up for the student body, and running it thru the IT department's high speed net portal, but the entire IT department is in reorganization, so we will probably wind up with the full site on a remote host such as Hostrocket.com when done.

Finishing up a business site for my ex-boss, and just got a call yesterday to put together a small site for an employee of the college, for his son's white water business, which will help a little bit for grocery money.

Speaking of which, my part time work study job vanished week before last, so I am currently looking for off campus work to take care of bills. If you need any web work, graphics design, or anything computer related, PLEASE give me a shout. I'm quick, cheap, and know what I'm doing.

Personal projects right now include research into the federal grants program, and I've found the grant I need to pursue my civil defense document archive project to completion, but I need to become a registered non-profit entity first. May take a while, but I hope to make it happen. Taking SurvivalRing Unlimited to a 501(c)3 non-profit organization has been my goal from day one, and I know more about it now than I did even a few months ago. Wish me luck with it.

Gotta run to class...ten minutes until my WinXP OpSys class, and I get my mid term exam score then, so I don't want to miss that.

Look for more later...

Richard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home