.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The SurvivalRing Blog...what's going on in Saving The World...

My Blog for the SurvivalRing website.....
http://www.survivalring.org
"Study Yesterday...Prepare Today...Live Tomorrow."


Monitoring U.S. Homeland Security

Monday, July 19, 2004

SurvivalRing News Update...

More new files have been added to the Civil Defense Now download section, and all the broken links are being fixed.  I have also been working on the NEXT generation of SurvivalRing, with entire new sections, new navigation layout, and lots more online resources for you.  Still in development is a database system for searching, listing, finding, and reading ALL the hundreds of megabytes of authentic civil defense and homeland security information that we have online right this very moment.  It is going to be amazing, I promise.  For a preview of the navigation and NEW areas, just click here!! (new window)

Radio
Probably the greatest news is that the SurvivalRing Radio Program is coming close to being a reality.  Since November of last year, I have been working part time as a radio announcer at a REAL radio station ( KTRZ in Riverton, Wyoming ), for the VERY specific reason of getting real world experience in writing, producing, recording and actually BEING a live radio host.  Of course, KTRZ is "only" a 100,000 watt FM station, and I'm "only" of the three main DJs, covering the 8pm to 5am shift, and certainly not least, our station signal covers "just" one-third of Wyoming...but I consider it swell training for my MAIN goal, of being "the source" of online preparedness and survival information with downloads, links, audio, and soon VIDEO.  SurvivalRing Radio is going to start small, but eventually will have full archive of available shows, either in MP3 format, or streamed.  Topics?  You name it...if I've mentioned it on the site, in emails, or in articles, it will be covered on SurvivalRing Radio.  I'll be interviewing all those same folks you've heard about for years, but without the sensationalistic, opportunistic angles that Art Bell or similar talk show hosts have used in years past. My goal, Facts...not Fiction.

College
My return to college is going great...a 4.0 GPA for the fall 2003, spring 2004 and summer 2004 semesters, which put me on the president's honor list at Central Wyoming College, as well as being invited to join the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society...something I *never* expected.  With this kind of luck ( and continued hard work, obviously ), I hope to get a few more scholarships (I have two small ones for next fall) to get even farther with my college goals. To top off this great turn of events, I just added "another" part time job to the list of current projects of "Richard's Career Enhancement Plan for the future". 

A TV Career
Starting a few months ago, I'm became a "Broadcast Assistant" for Wyoming Public TV.  It's only 10 to 18 hours a week, but it's simply one of the most astounding opportunities I've had yet to get my foot into the door of the media world.  WyoPTV is based here at the CWC campus, where I'm taking classes, and almost 97% of the state gets their public television signal from us.  My job is to sit in Master Control, maintain the logs and update them, grab shows from the main PBS satellites for rebroadcast, keep tabs on all the sat signals, servers, and video players, and even all the tapes for all the shows on a weekly basis.  In other words, I am responsible for the "entire" Wyoming PBS network when I'm on shift. How often does ANYONE get the chance to learn skills like THAT! And, if you read the previous post below, associated work with this job includes Production Assistant jobs that bring me into direct contact with very powerful folks, including the Governor of Wyoming.

Tools
And probably the my most favorite news, and best thing yet for EVERYONE...my tax refund came in, and I have finally, after almost 40 months, been able to upgrade to "state of the art" computer power.  My laptop, which I replaced with another used system last summer ( exact same make, model, speed, etc) with GREAT thanks to many of you who sent donations, and allowed me to be able to continue working on all the projects, is going to be put to rest ( meaning, sold on eBay). 

System
My new system, purchased as "factory recertified", via an online computer discounter I've dealt with for a couple of years now, is almost 3 gigahertz in speed, has 160 gigs of harddrive space, a DVD burner, CD Burner, 512 meg of ram, 128 meg video card, USB2.0, firewire, TV tuner card, and more, gives me ALL the power needed to create, edit, produce, market, and burn any and every video project I can come up with, create all the audio needed for the radio show, and literally handle ANY digital project I can dream up ( and believe me, you don't have enough waking hours available to hear MY list). 

Power
With the 80 gig external harddrive, and 52x external CD Burner I bought for the laptop staying with the new system, I can burn twice as many CD's, compile DVD data CD's of unbelievable content specs ( like half a million pages of documents on ONE DVD data disk with 4 gigs of storage), and have ONLINE and AVAILABLE nearly one quarter of a TERABYTE of info at my immediate disposal.   

In other words, yes, things are going well.  This new system, with extended 2 year warranty, and without a monitor ( I have 3 unused 17 inch moniters sitting around the dorm ), cost me only $900, and with my sale of the good laptop, the dead laptop, and the laptop accessory cards (USB 2.0 card, Realport Ethernet cards, etc.), I'll have less than $500 cash invested in this powerful system. 

Selling the laptop was the deal I made with my wife to enable me to get the new system, and still be able to use our refund and pay on all our other monetary needs ( 4 out 5 family members in college, one approaching wedding for my oldest son, minor car repairs, etc.).  The incredible power of this system, and sheer speed, will let me get that oh-so-behind scanning of all these HUNDREDS of unscanned civil defense documents sitting here in sealed boxes, DONE...faster, easier, and yes, better. 

You will be the recipient of the new documents, which is the BIGGEST reason for upgrading with the focus on POWER.

As always, you're continued support and interest of EVERYTHING I do with SurvivalRing, is why I KEEP doing it.  If it can be done, and it helps folks to learn ANY aspect of how to better take care of themselves in good, and bad, times, I will do what it takes to make sure EVERYONE has a chance to know about it.
 
Til Next Time,

Richard

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home